Tuesday 1 October 2013

Instagram App Review - Beware it's Addictive!

I am not ashamed to admit I am slightly addicted to Instagram which actually makes a nice change for me as in the past it was all about Facebook, followed closely by Twitter and Pinterest. I feel, along with Pinterest, Instagram is one of the more positive social media platforms, or it is at least when you follow the type of people I do (lifestyle, wellbeing, dogs!) so I don't mind being an addict!


I wanted to write a review of the app, I know Instagram (owned by Facebook) isn't new, it's been around since 2010 and there are 150 million active users all over the world, but, it's relatively new for me and will be unknown to many others!

Instagram allows you to create a profile and follow users in a similar way to Twitter. You can then upload or take images which are editable through the app with photography features such as filters, blurs and changeable light gradients. You can add a caption to sit with the photo, similar to the way you would on Facebook with hashtags being important on Instagram to categorise your images and make them easily searchable. The photography features make any photo look a million times better (trust me, I know!) and once posted it gets added to your profile and will appear in your followers feeds.


It's a really simple app to use and I think it's because of that simplicity, people love it. The interface has a handy menu at the bottom with five options; home (similar to a newsfeed), explore, upload, see notifications and view and edit your profile.

Explore allows you to search for other users to follow and discover new images from a feed that is automatically updated by Instagram.

Upload is exactly what you expect but what's nice is if you haven't got the photo you want to upload on your camera roll, you can easily take a snapshot and edit it straight from the app without losing any quality. It's also the place you can then go on to edit and caption your images.

Profile gives you a live preview of your Instagram profile and it's the area you can make amends to your profile too. You have a handle on Instagram, mine is janelw171, your real name (should you wish), a small bio, profile picture and one external link.


In terms of the social aspect of Instagram, I enjoy keeping up with my friends but also love getting inspired every day by those Instagrammers I have never met and choose to follow. I do find the following aspect could be improved as it's very easy to 'like' a photo but a longer process to follow someone. Although, it's great to find likes from people who have discovered your photo through one of the hashtags you've used in your caption rather than following you.

A little tip - follow people with caution as, unlike Twitter where skimming through the newsfeed sometimes without even taking any of the tweets in is easy, the newsfeed on Instagram is much more overpowering so I only want people I have a real interest in filling it!

Obviously Instagram is very visual which means, if you follow the right people, it's nice to check into the app to see some fun, inspiring images to brighten up your day! I do see it more as a place for mobile snapshots so use my Pinterest account for sharing less original or personal images.

Here's a few of my favourite Instagram photos...

   


Score: 8/10

I love... the simplicity of the app, the app icon and the filters (especially useful if you are no David Bailey like me!)

I'd like to... see it be easier for people to follow people as, although liking a photo is simple, to follow someone it's a longer process

Hope to see you on Instagram soon but be warned, it's addictive! In the meantime check out my 'A Beautiful Mess' photo challenges here - I'm having so much fun completing them!

Jane x


No comments:

Post a Comment