Monday 30 September 2013

A Beautiful Mess Challenge Eight: Understand Depth of Field

 

What is 'depth of field'? As Elsie and Emma say in the book, it 'refers to the amount of your photo that is in focus.' Deep depth is if all of the photo is in focus, shallow is if the subject is in focus and the background blurry.

As I've decided to use my trusty iPhone camera for most of the challenges, I can't use a manual depth of field control but there's an easy fix to manipulate depth of field which I'll be doing with my subject Beau!

In the first photo I photographed Beau directly against the wall to create a deep depth of field...


In the second, Beau patiently (with the help of a treat) moved forward away from the wall to create a shallow depth of field with the wall blurry in the background...


Maybe I should have used a human model for my first venture into testing depth of field but I couldn't resist his little face! I definitely like the effect of the shallow depth of field better with the black and white background blurred into the back making Beau's eyes really stand out.

I'm very much looking forward to challenge nine where I'll be making homemade filters!

Jane x

3 comments:

  1. This is a very helpful post to manipulate deep depth of field and shallow depth of field. Really you deserve thanks for sharing it.Now I want to learn about clipping path service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well blog here you made . I impressed to see your post , thanks guy for shared . Clipping Path Service | Remove White Background | Product Photo Editing

    ReplyDelete