Saturday 21 September 2013

A Beautiful Mess Challenge Five: Find Flattering Window Light

As a (very!) amateur photographer, I wouldn't normally position my photos to directly focus around a window so I found this part of the book interesting and, although it was a little hard, the subject was explained excellently by Elsie and Emma.


One of my oldest friends Lucy, has got a gorgeous window in her country kitchen so after our morning exercise session I got her to pose in front of the window for me. The book says to look for natural light when photographing indoors and get the subject to face the window or stand adjacent to it. We played around but found standing adjacent was better without the morning sun blinding poor Lucy!


I found positioning this shot pretty tough. In order to follow the rule as stated in the book 'the more light on the subject the better', Lucy's whole face would have had to be facing the window and it wouldn't have given a natural shot. I'm looking forward to more practice with this challenge! Although the light isn't on Lucy's beautiful face and eyes, it catches her golden locks which I really like and also makes her skin look illuminated with lovely colouring.

Thanks for modelling Lucy!

I'll be taking a shadow portrait for challenge six!


Jane x

View previous posts...

No comments:

Post a Comment