Tuesday 26 November 2013

Seven Simple Steps to Creating the Perfect Christmas Tree

It's National Tree Week and it’s nearly the magical month of December and there is only one tree on our minds... the Christmas tree! We thought what better time to write a post about my favourite Christmas activity (yes even above opening my presents!)... decorating the Christmas tree!

My Christmas decorations usually take a traditional path mixed with modern... red and gold with tartan blended with bursts of deep purple (my favourite colour). So although there are so many different ways to decorate your tree, I've put together my tips for a stress-free decorating session...

Step One:
Put on your favourite, comfy Christmas outfit, dig out the Christmas songs and pop them on and finally pour your top Christmas drink... mine is a Snowball (sorry!) - I love eggnog!

Sign

Step Two:
Unpack the dreaded Christmas decoration box putting all decorations in piles of either the same type of decoration, I normally have three of each at least, or the same colour. I like to keep my favourite few in a pile together as they need pride of place at the end along with my tree topper.

Also don't forget to untangle the lights prior to starting, being careful not to tread on any as I usually do.

Tip for January: wrap lights around an empty kitchen roll tube, making a cut in the side to pop the end through (it helps!)

Step Three:
First up are the lights, for a six-foot tree I use three sets of clear lights; two static and one (longer) twinkling set as the lights are probably my favourite Christmassy item. To get perfectly positioned lights imagine the tree split in half and use the two static sets to fill the halves and then the twinkling set spread across it all.

It's best to rope in someone else with one taking the end and the other feeding them through, carefully winding each set of lights around the tree in a spiral shape, not forgetting about the back as, although not as prominent, the little lights do shine through.

Once all sets are on, I like to finish it off by pushing some towards the trunk and bringing others to sit on the ends of the heavier branches to give a bit of depth. I love the look of the tree at this stage and some years I have been tempted to leave it with just lights on but no... decorations are lovely!

Tip: At this point, switch off all your lights, ready for the unveiling at the end!

Fairy Lights

Step Four:
If you use tinsel it's time to put it on. Some people love it, some hate it - I love it, my mum hates it but, seeing as I'm always the decorator, I put it on! I only use about three strings of tinsel in one neutral colour (gold on mine) and split the tree into thirds this time with some on the top few branches, some in the middle and the majority in the thick bottom.

Step Five:
Now for the decorations... if you have bows or ribbons, put these on first spreading them evenly throughout the tree. The key to any 'perfect tree' is to spread similar decorations across the tree so they pick up the light at different points and give people more to look at hence the splitting of decorations at the beginning.

Next take all your 'basic' decorations (plain baubles, ones you have a lot of or your least favourite) and add them to your already pretty tree, spacing them out front and back, top and bottom. I like to do this in colours so I get a good balance.

Finally, get out your special decorations ready to find the perfect places for them. I have a few favourites, such as little gifts from my fiancé or those picked up on my travels from India to Denmark, and although don't exactly fit with the colour-scheme, they simply cannot stay in their boxes! I dot these mainly at the front of the tree so visitors can admire them on first glance.

Tip: A friend of mine who is spending her first Christmas in her new house wanted to know how many decorations was recommended for a six-foot tree... apparently it's 60. I've never counted mine but I'd say 30-50 is more than enough.

Step Six:
Enter the tree topper... the icing on the cake! When you're happy with your tree, add the last piece whether it be a star (like mine) or a homemade angel, this signals the end of the decorating! I'm usually tired (and fed up) by this point but ready for the final step...

Step Seven:
Put on your favourite Christmas song, take a sip of your Christmassy drink (you deserve it!) and switch on the lights... et voila - your perfect Christmas tree!

Now after all that effort, if you ask someone nicely they may tidy up the empty boxes for you - just remind them of just how gorgeous the tree is!

Christmas Table

This has made me very feel very Christmassy and excited about putting my tree up in December!

Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment