Thursday 21 November 2013

Hot Yoga: Going Barefoot into the Unknown…

This year I set myself a goal to try Yoga, especially Hot Yoga, for the first time. Little did I know that it would have such a profound effect on everything in my life!

Jane is an avid Pilates student, and I knew that Yoga might help a host of things including posture, balance and core strength. I had a knee operation a few years ago and so there was some work to do to readdress the strength in this part of my body.

When the Amazon Local offer for Barefoot Birmingham dropped into our inboxes in the Summer, we knew this was our chance to finally try Hot Yoga.


Barefoot Birmingham is a beautiful, unique and calm Yoga & Wellbeing studio in the heart of Harborne, only a couple of miles from Birmingham City Centre. The team pride themselves on offering a ‘big, beautiful, warm, sweet-smelling studio’ to guests and it really stands out as a clean and spacious place to visit, especially when you compare it to a brightly lit, smelly environment that some gyms and hot yoga studios (that Jane has tried) can be sometimes.

Our first Hot Yoga session was incredibly hot, due to an influx of new guests waving the Amazon Local offer! However in the weeks that followed, we experienced perfect class sizes, pose-by-pose education and inspiration from the instructors, our favourite being Nicola Rowan-Brooks, and with each session I could feel small improvements in my strength and balance.

That was a great thing, feeling strong, especially when normally you can hear me saying ‘my upper body strength is awful’ or ‘I’ve pulled my back again, I need to have better core strength’ Both Hot Yoga and Dynamic Yoga provided me with a solution to address these issues, while feeling like I was enjoying myself!

I know it sounds too good to be true, but here’s the most unexpected thing; it improved so much more than that. The time I spent in class actually had a positive effect on my mood, my stress levels, my focus and my clarity of thoughts. This year has been a whirlwind roller-coaster for us both and we are coming up to a very busy finish to it, so my mind is currently like this 24/7:

Katie and Jane

The meditation element in Hot Yoga aimed at stilling the mind, was so valuable in calming my thoughts and crushing the swirl of worries, things to do, things to remember, things I’ve promised, places I need to go, people I need to visit, and that’s just the tip of the ice berg – I’m sure I’m not alone! (Well, I know Jane is definitely the same!) When you start out in your own business, it completely takes over your life, in a great way, but your life and work becomes inseparable.

The overall experience of being a Barefooter was seamless, you can book online, arrive 15 minutes before the class, and the studio even provides showers, face wipes, tea, water and free yoga mats if you’re not ready to buy one yet. One of my favourite touches has to be the sign on the wall as you leave the studio "Everything is Okay". They have a wealth of classes I’m yet to try including WeekendWind-Down Yoga by candlelight on a Friday evening. 

Katie and Jane

You can find out everything you need to know, become a member and view the class timetable here: www.barefootbirmingham.com

We hope you are inspired to give it a try, at least once! 

Inspirational quote
Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment