Thursday 20 March 2014

App Review: Get Your Run On With Nike+

Writing lists, recording memories and setting goals is in my nature so when I decided that (one day!) I was going to run the New York City Marathon I knew I needed something accessible, accurate and fun to record my training runs... enter the Nike+ Running app! Having used the Adidas running app before with mixed feelings I chose the Nike+ app after seeing many people on social media say how good it is and I'm not disappointed.

In a nutshell the app tracks your activity including route, distance, time, calories, average pace and NikeFuel ('points' given for activity), keeping a record for you in one easy list. After a run the app shows you a map of where you've been and gives you the option to add additional information like how you were feeling, terrain and what shoes you were wearing.

Nike+ Running app

The additional information part of the app is probably my favourite as it allows you to record the feelings you had during the run, an essential part of looking back at good and bad days to evaluate why you ran like you did. Another favourite function is the challenges where you can set a challenge to run longer, farther or faster by taking on your personal bests which is useful when you need a little motivation to keep going!

The great thing with the Nike+ Running app is that you don't need to wear any particular running shoes to keep track, it simply uses GPS signal to calculate distance and speed which I've never had a problem with despite running on trails in remote places.

Nike+ Running app

There's a social function (of course!) too which allows you to link the app with various social networks (Facebook, Twitter and Path at the moment) and hear real-time cheers from your friends. I don't feel the need to link with my Facebook so have never experienced it before! It also connects you to friends on social and those who are using the app, with a leaderboard so you can see where you sit within your peers.

If you're new to running or want to progress to the next level the Coach function gives the option to follow training plans for 5K, 10K, half a marathon and the epic marathon with beginner, intermediate and advanced settings. This is great if you need those mini milestones to achieve - it's like having a personal trainer in your pocket!

Running Quotes

The main benefit I gain from the app is that it keeps me progressing and moving forward toward my goal. The app is so simple and clear you're able to see averages, longest runs, personal bests and more in one simple list - yes a simple running diary could do the same but with the Nike+ Running app it's so much more fun!

Score: 9.5/10 (tempted for a 10/10 but see below!)

I love...
  • Having the ability to track your runs in real-time, taking the app with me wherever I go
  • The user-friendly interface and fun additional features
  • The automatic calculation of personal bests and averages to keep motivated

I'd like...
  • My profile picture to be fixed... nothing will upload and I've been trying for weeks
  • Reassurance that I won't drop GPS signal no matter where I am (sometimes I panic!)
  • The ability record runs ran with a friend using Nike+ so we only need to carry one phone

Happy running!

Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment