Wednesday 1 October 2014

The Best Things in Life in October

Summer is over and it's off into Autumn we go. Although beautiful, hot sunny days are behind us, the pretty falling leaves and Autumn colours are coming which gets us very excited! Here's our favourite things in life in October...

Katie


Best Things in Life?

Quorn… We’ve had a summer experimenting with Quorn for our tasty Not Dogs and the more I’ve researched into the brand and mission it’s been refreshingly surprising to find out the untold story of the work for sustainability and the passionate people striving to help the environment and us! To find out more here’s a link to a recent study I’ve enjoyed lately.

Photo Books… For my birthday gift this year Jane created an amazing photo book filled with memories of our summer adventure this year, to have a book to pick up from time to time and flick through means that I can be reminded of the fun we’ve had in this lovely little keepsake that’s just mine to enjoy!


Tiny Temporary Tattoos… I love this predicted trend at the moment, stylish temporary tattoos made in metallic colours like gold and silver. Spotted during Paris Fashion Week and not long after on Beyonce, Im excited about watching this trend grow and already there are some inspiring creations surfacing on Instagram.


My Woman of the Year is...
My fellow Katie & Jane adventurer, Jane Whitehead. I’ve spent more time with Jane over the summer than I have with anyone else, and when it’s 4am in the morning and she is perfectly topping our vegetarian hot dogs (no standard is ever dropped!) while I’m running down the queue talking to our customers apologising that we only have 12 hot dogs left, you realise that there must be only a handful of people in life that can be on this kind of adventure with and make it work. This summer was all about pulling together, being resilient and remaining happy, positive and inspired despite all the twists, turns and pressure, and we did it! Here’s to the future…and so much more fun.

The Most Important Thing I've Learnt in the First Year of Owning a Food Truck is...
To not be afraid to stand out if you really believe in something. Sometimes it’s hard for others to see your vision, (these ideas always start out a bit crazy!) but the belief you have in the idea, making it a reality and finding out people like it as much as you is honestly the best part!

My Current Favourite Pin...


Jane



Best Things in Life?

New Autumn/Winter Shoes! I have realised I have a shoe rotation system (sad I know!) and this is the month to pack away my Spring/Summer shoes mainly consisting of Havianas (and jelly sandles this year!) and get out my Autumn boots and Winter Uggs. On a recent trip to Rome I brought two pairs and have spotted some similar in Red magazine since!

Miranda Kerr Empower Yourself - after buying Miranda Kerr's first book, Treasure Yourself, in Melbourne a few years ago I've been patiently awaiting her next publication Empower Yourself which features affirmations for living healthily and feeling positive. I had to wait three weeks for it to come over from Australia but it's worth the wait and is a really inspiring, positive read for people of all ages.


The Honestly Healthy Cleanse - Having spotting the inspiring author, Natasha Corrett of Honestly Healthy on Instagram, I really enjoyed her regular posts so decided to pick up her and her business partner, Vicki Edgson's, latest book 'Honestly Healthy for Life'. I loved it so much that I also got their first book 'Honestly Healthy: Eat with your Body in Mind, the Alkaline Way' published in 2012 and discovered the Honestly Healthy Cleanse which I am now doing. The 5-10 day cleanse is not a detox - I was pleasantly surprised to see how much gorgeous meals I'd be eating along with green juices and snacks. I'm only on day three at the moment but feeling very good!

My Woman of the Year is...
Katie McDermott! Co-founder of Katie & Jane, Countdown Keeper and Not Dogs, and one of my best friends is an inspiration to me; she works amazingly hard yet has fun with everything she does, she is there for me no matter what and we work so well together as a team. I'm very proud that she's recently been recognised by Nivea and Stylist magazine as an 'inspirational female who encapsulates the bring it on generation' so take my word for it and go and vote for her now here

The Most Important Thing I've Learnt in the First Year of Owning a Food Truck is...
It's God-damn hard work... but worth it! Maybe naively I didn't think pulling a food truck and selling vegetarian hot dogs up and down the country would be as hard as it's been, but I also didn't imagine how much fun I've had too. 18-hour shifts with no breaks, long queues and 'interesting' customers have made it the hardest work of my life but because of all the passion we have for creating a long-lasting brand that people love - the hard work is so worth it! It's not about making a quick-buck for us (we haven't!), it's about seeing the look on people's faces when they see our little purple truck or bite into their first Not Dog - that's what it's all about!


My Current Favourite Pin is...



No comments:

Post a Comment