Thursday 5 June 2014

Updated: Madesquare App Review: Everything is Better Square!

There's a new photo printing app on the market, which has most likely been inspired by the increasing popularity of the square formatted photo editing app Instagram, called Madesquare and as we both like the concept we wanted to review it.

Aqua heart

Madesquare was created by a team of four craft-making women from America who sell 'finely-crafted square photo products' through their beautifully designed app.

There are many, many innovative products available... you can print photos on mini wood blocks, create a recipe card from your favourite food photo, go vintage and print photos 'photo strip' style or display photos on metallic, to name just a few ways Madesquare allow you to print photos. These products would make the perfect gift as they are so unique and modern, yet personal.

Recipe cards

Looking at the app itself the branding is striking, clear and simple with bright colours and detailed information on the various products. The imagery they use for the product examples are really aspirational which makes you want to buy everything! I like the way users can share the funky examples via social media (a great marketing tool for downloads too!).

If you think the app's aim is to sell tonnes of products, think again, as they've got the great additions of 'Discover' and 'Blog'. On the Discover tab users can gain inspiration for their own DIY crafty projects and tips on all-things photography too. The Blog is, as expected, Madesquare's blog again packed with nice imagery alongside topical posts.

DIY photo

So far, so good, but, I discovered a major issue with the app... I wanted to order a photo strip book complete with hard cover as I'd never seen one of these before so I spent quite a while going through my albums and picking photos that go together well to add to my order. After the book was complete and added to my basket I went to place my order to be delivered to the UK and I was unable to proceed. No alert appeared to tell me why I was stuck on the order screen and, after trying numerous times I emailed the team.

*** Update - June 2014 ***

The team responded really quickly to my above issue telling me that they were working very hard to fix their International shipping issues, and, I'm pleased to say they followed through and about two weeks later my lovely photo strip book is on it's way. The customer care was fantastic which is why I wanted to update this blog post and up Madesquare's score from 6 to 9 out of 10!

Photo Strip

Score: 9/10

I love...
  • The app's concept and design
  • The range of unique products available

I'd like...
  • To be able to print my photos on even more square items (I'm being greedy!)
Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment